This download contains 2 sets of carefully designed 10 by 10 Addition Grids – ideal for developing fluency in addition facts to 20 and 40.
Set 1: Addition Facts to 20
Set 2: Addition Facts to 40
Instructions: This can be undertaken as a timed or untimed challenge. Children should fill in as many boxes as possible within the set time. Each total is worth 1 point so the maximum score on each grid is 100 points.
Ideas for Use:
1) Introduce sensitively – helping children understand the challenge.
2) Set up stopwatch on your whiteboard, so children can see what time is left and can record their finishing time if they complete the challenge with the set time (e.g. 10 minutes).
3) Alternate Grids – use 2 different grids each time you attempt the challenge. Make sure that children sitting next to each other have different grids to ensure no copying!
4) Marking – children swap grids and mark in colour pencil. One answer grid is displayed on your whiteboard and the other read out. Collect in the marked grids for analysis.
5) Concrete Resources – some children may find it helpful to have a set of concrete resources handy to help them visualise the total in each case. These should be made available as required.