This download contains 6 carefully designed 12 by 12 Table Challenge Grids.
The first four rows and columns contain the Year 2 table facts (1s, 2s, 5s and 10s). The next four rows and columns represent the Year 3 table facts (3s, 4s and 9s – plus the 11s from Year 4). The final four rows and columns contain the Year 4 tables (6s, 7s, 8s and 12s)
This is a 12 Minute Challenge. Children should fill in as many boxes as possible within the set time. Each product is worth 1 point, except the 16 products in the bottom right hand corner, which are worth 2 points each. Children jot down their time if completed within 12 minutes. Maximum score: 144 + 16 = 160 points.
Ideas for Use:
1) Introduce sensitively – help children understand the challenge, talk through strategies (e.g. relationship between table facts, commutativity etc.)
2) Set up stopwatch on your whiteboard, so children can see what time is left and can record their finishing time if they complete the challenge with 12 minutes.
3) Alternate Grids – use 2 different grids each time you attempt the challenge. Make sure that children sitting next to each other have different grids to ensure no copying!
4) Marking – children swap grids and mark in colour pencil. One answer grid is displayed on your whiteboard and the other read out. Collect in the marked grids for analysis.
5) Undertake weekly and keep track of the points each week, particularly celebrating the rise in your class average. Children should be encouraged to self assess which tables they need to go away and work on. Well led, this is a powerful tool!